Fellowship is the condition of being together or sharing similar interests as do members of a profession, religion, or nationality; companionship.
1. Our fellowship must be with God and Christ (1 John 1:3). As children of God, we have fellowship with those in His family, including the Father and His only begotten Son.
2. God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness, we lie and do not tell the truth, but if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus, His Son cleanses us all from sin. 1 John 1:3
3. If we live in “darkness” (the domain of Satan), we cannot have fellowship with the Father and Son. But while we walk in the light, we have fellowship with the Father and the Son, and the blood of Christ constantly cleanses us from sin. The paramount truth in this passage is simple; true spiritual fellowship is possible only while we walk in the light.
4. In order to have fellowship with God, we must be studying God’s Word, the Bible. We need to do this daily with the idea of preaching and teaching. 1 Timothy 4:13-16
6. Christians have fellowship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (John 17:21-26, Philippians 2:1, 1 John 1:3) as well as with other believers (Acts 2:42, 1 John 1:3, 7). Conversely unbelievers should have nothing to do with unbelievers, but they should not share in the sinner’s lifestyle (2 Corinthians 6:14-18). Christians should have a solid relationship with fellow Christians in doing the will of God and serving the cause for which Jesus died. That is what fellowship is all about.
It is my conviction that we apply these six ideas to our lives, we can have a greater fellowship with God, His Son, the Holy Spirit, and with one another. Get involved. Call the shut-ins, call someone who is missing from Bible class week after week, let others know you care for them, visit those in the hospital, get together in one another’s home for a meal or Bible study. Let us do all that we can to glorify God! AMEN!